Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel won an incident-packed Singapore Grand Prix ahead of McLaren driver Jenson Button on Sunday night.
Ferrari's championship leader Fernando Alonso was third but McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, second in the standings heading into the weekend, retired early with a gearbox problem.
This allowed Vettel to move to second place in the championship while his Red Bull teammate Mark Webber remained fifth after finishing tenth in the race for a single point.
Webber was one place behind fellow Australian Daniel Ricciardo in a Toro Rosso.
Alonso increased his championship lead from 27 to 29 points with six races to go.
Numerous safety car periods meant the race finished on the two-hour time limit rather than distance covered.
Force India's Paul di Resta finished a career-best fourth while Mercedes' Michael Schumacher retired after a heavy crash into the back of Jean-Eric Vergne's Toro Rosso.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 2h00:26.144
2. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 8.959
3. Alonso Ferrari + 15.227
4. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 19.063
5. Rosberg Mercedes + 34.759
6. Raikkonen Lotus-Renault + 35.700
7. Grosjean Lotus-Renault + 36.600
8. Massa Ferrari + 42.800
9. Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 45.800
10. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 47.100
11. Perez Sauber-Ferrari + 50.600
12. Glock Marussia-Cosworth + 1 lap
13. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap
14. Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
15. Pic Marussia-Cosworth + 1 lap (*)
16. Kovalainen Caterham-Renault + 1 lap
17. De la Rosa HRT-Cosworth + 1 lap
18. Senna Williams-Renault + 2 laps
19. Petrov Caterham-Renault + 2 laps